Top ten finish for Magnus Cort on stage two of the Tour De Yorkshire

Sat 30 Apr 2016

A short and fast stage two of the Tour De Yorkshire saw the early breakaway stay clear until the final few kilometres when ORICA-GreenEDGE took control at the front of the peloton and brought the race back together for the sprint finish.

Young Dane Magnus Cort was the team’s best placed rider in tenth place while Caleb Ewan sits in fourth position on the overall general classification only ten seconds down going into tomorrow’s third and final stage.

Sport director Matt Wilson spoke frankly when describing today’s stage.

“It was a really fast stage,” said Wilson. “The race was over in around three hours and we had ridden fantastically up until the finish where, basically we got swamped and crowded out.”

“We ended up losing position in the last few hundred metres and obviously we are disappointed about that. The guys kept things under control really well for most of the race but we didn’t have it in the finale.”

“Tomorrow is a long stage,” continued Wilson. “Nearly 200kilometres and it is probably the hardest of the three days but we are here to compete and we will give our all to try and get a result.”

How it happened:

In contrast to the awful weather conditions of stage one, patches of sunshine and blue skies welcomed the riders to the start in the quaint North Yorkshire village of Otley. However it was destined not to last, the wind and the rain began as the peloton headed out into the countryside.

The neutral start was typically uneventful and 20minutes after the flag dropped a group of six riders escaped to form the early breakaway. Fifteen kilometres into the race and the group had a developing lead of two minutes 30seconds.

LottoNL-Jumbo were sitting on the front of the peloton and keeping the breakaway at around two minutes for the first hour and a half of racing. A strong tail wind pushed the average speed of the main bunch out towards 50kmph. As the race approached Pontefract, the gap to the breakaway was now just over one minute.

The shape of the race had not changed for the best part of 100kilometres. The six riders out front were being steadily held between one and two minutes as ORICA-GreenEDGE began to take up the baton at the front of the main bunch.

The finishing circuit in the industrial town of Doncaster took the riders back out into the rolling countryside where the tailwind became a headwind and instantly reduced the speed of the bunch. The breakaway was almost reeled in with under 30kilometres left to race after strong work from ORICA-GreenEDGE and LottoNL-Jumbo on the front of the peloton.

Arguably the flattest stage of the race and definitely the shortest, stage two seemed to favour a sprint finish from the off set. With less than ten kilometres to go the breakaway was finally caught and the race now shaped up seriously for the bunch sprint.

ORICA-GreenEDGE were the prominent team at the front of the peloton going into the final kilometres. However when Van Poppel and Dylan Groenwengen attacked with 200metres to go it was Cort and not Ewan who was battling for the line. Van Poppel held on for the stage win with Cort finishing a respectable tenth.

Ewan sits in fourth place overall heading into tomorrow’s third and final stage covering 198kilometres from Middlesbrough to Scarborough.

Tour De Yorkshire stage two results:

1. Danny Van Poppel (Team-Sky) 03:04:20
2. Dylan Groenwengen (LottoNL-Jumbo) ST
3. Nikias Arndt (Giant-Alpecin) ST
10. Magnus Cort (ORICA-GreenEDGE) ST


General classification after stage two:

1. Dylan Groenwengen (LottoNL-Jumbo) 08:13:15
2. Danny Van Poppel (Team-Sky) 00:00:06
3. Nikias Arndt (Giant-Alpecin) 00:00:08
4. Caleb Ewan (ORICA-GreenEDGE) 00:00:10