Two in Plouay Top-Ten

Mon 27 Aug 2012

Matt Goss sprinted to second in the small bunch kick in Plouay. With two riders up the road, his sprint was good for fourth place. Simon Gerrans assisted Goss in the finish before crossing the line in eighth. The two former GP Ouest France winners were part of ORICA-GreenEDGE’s two-pronged attack prepared for a field sprint or late race attacks.

“It was a good result to have two boys in the top ten,” said Sports Director Matt White. “The team rode well. It was a solid race for us. Simon gave Gossy a hand in the sprint and still hung on for eighth. It’s quite handy for us in terms of WorldTour points.”

Despite the course changes, the race unfolded as usual with a breakaway dominating much of the early action.

“The plan obviously was Gossy for the sprint and Gerro for the big moves,” said White. “The team chased during the first 140 kilometers to keep the break in check and bring back the gap a little. We had help from Liqugas. Once we had the gap down to four minutes, Astana and a few other teams jumped in to take over the work.”

With two hours still to race, the field was back together.

“They brought the break back with 75 kilometers left,” explained White. “A couple of different breaks went, and we kept an eye on what was happening up the road. As predicted, it was all back together five kilometers from the finish.”

As was the race situation last year, a small group formed off the front on the final climb. 

“Gerrans was in the split that formed when Rui Costa (Movistar) attacked,” said White. “Edvald Boasson Hagen  (Sky Procycling) rode off the front and went through Costa before the top of the last climb. Costa hung on for second. [Heinrich] Haussler (Garmin-Sharp) piped Gossy on the line.”


Official results, available several hours after this race report was originally published, listed Simon Gerrans in 12th place. Report written based on information available to Sports Director Matt White shortly after the race finished.